Tribal Elder Among Three Killed in Wana IED Blast

0
39

Fazal Amin Shinwari

WANA: At least three people, including prominent tribal elder and chief of the Ahmadzai Wazir tribe Malik Tariq Wazir, were killed and four others injured in an improvised explosive device (IED) blast in the busy Rustam Bazaar area of Wana in Lower South Waziristan on Monday morning, officials said.

According to District Police Officer (DPO) Mohammad Tahir Shah Wazir, the explosion occurred near Gulshan Plaza when a vehicle carrying Malik Tariq Wazir was passing through the market area. The powerful blast killed three people on the spot and left four others wounded.

Police officials said unidentified militants had allegedly planted explosive material near Gulshan Plaza during the night, which was detonated in the morning hours.

Security forces and police rushed to the scene soon after the blast, cordoned off the area, and launched a search operation to trace those responsible for the attack.

Residents and rescue workers shifted the bodies and the injured to the District Headquarters (DHQ) Hospital in Wana for treatment and legal formalities.

According to police, the deceased were identified as Malik Tariq Wazir, Sarfraz Khan and Abdul Jabbar. The injured included Saeed Anwar, Umar, Rashid Khan, and Sabir.

Medical Superintendent of DHQ Hospital, Dr Jan Mohammad, confirmed that two of the injured were in critical condition and were receiving emergency medical treatment.

The blast triggered panic across the market, forcing traders and shopkeepers to temporarily shut down businesses in the area.

Malik Tariq Wazir was considered an influential tribal figure in Lower South Waziristan and had played a key role in resolving tribal disputes and participating in jirgas aimed at maintaining peace in the region.

He had previously been abducted by armed men in December 2024 but was later released following efforts by tribal elders and local mediators.

Following the incident, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sohail Afridi took notice of the blast and sought a report from police authorities.

Expressing sorrow over the loss of lives, the chief minister extended condolences to the bereaved families and directed authorities to ensure the best possible medical treatment for the injured.

“We will not leave the grieving families alone during this difficult time. The people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, along with police and security personnel, are rendering immense sacrifices for peace, and these sacrifices will never go in vain,” the chief minister said in a statement.

Former Jamaat-i-Islami senator Mushtaq Ahmad Khan also condemned the attack and urged the state, provincial government, and security agencies to fulfil their constitutional responsibilities and restore peace in the tribal districts.

No group had claimed responsibility for the attack yet.